Pretty Little Beetle
Location: New South Wales, Australia
We passed this on our way to Bondi Beach in Australia. It was just a few blocks from the beach. It seemed to be dead. It didn’t move. It was raining that day so I didn’t have my good camera. The colors were much brighter than the photo.
Signature: Thanks! Heather

Cotton Harlequin Bug

Hi Heather,
This is a Cotton Harlequin Bug,
Tectocoris diophthalmus, a relatively common Jewel Bug in the family Scutelleridae.  It is not a beetle.  You may visit the Brisbane Insect Website for additional images of this lovely little creature.

Location: Australia

3 Responses to Cotton Harlequin Bug from Australia

1. Tran Huynh says:

Is this bug toxic and does it do any harm to human? Can you pick it up by your hands?

2. melinda says:

We have these in our kindy, they hang around 1 particular tree & seem to eat out of the large seed pods, (not sure what the tree is called), have been looking for a name for them as the children call them stink bugs, & i know their not. Everywhere i have found on the net so far that has these bugs is down south but we are in queensland, just thought i would share with you!