Mystery bug
Location: San Francisco, CA
April 11, 2011 12:31 am
Hello there!
Over the past couple of months, I have been noticing an increasing number of these bugs in my house– primarily in my kitchen and bathroom. I am wondering if it is coming in through my drain? I find about a dozen of them each week now. They are quite small– about double the size of a sesame seed. I am curious whether they are something I should be concerned about having in my home?
Thank you!!
Signature: Elaine

Granary Weevil

Dear Elaine,
The tines of the fork provide a nice sense of scale for this Granary Weevil in the genus
Sitophilus, or some other closely related Weevil.  Granary Weevils infest stored grain and grain products, including rice, corn, bird seed and pet food.  If you have any bargain bags of grain or pet food stored in your kitchen, or any pantry products that have been stored for more than a year, that would be a great place to begin searching for the source of the infestation.