Jumping Bug
Location: Just north of Houston, TX
This is the strangest bug. It jumps and flips. My daughter took this picture in Conroe, Texas. (just north of Houston)in April. I hope someone can identify it. It is really cool looking the the big fake eyes.
Thanks for whatever help you can give.
Signature: Caren

Eyed Elater

Hi Caren,
This is a species of Click Beetle known as the Eyed Elater, a reference to the false eyespots you mentioned.  Click Beetles are able to snap their bodies, propelling themselves into the air if they are ever trapped on their backs, a unique method of righting themselves.  This action often produces an audible clicking noise.  Click Beetles are able to right themselves with amazing accuracy.

Location: Texas

13 Responses to Eyed Elater

1. Paul Rusin says:

I found one of these in an old maple stump in western NY. Must be common throughout the U.S.

2. Diana Eldridge says:

I had an Eyed elater jump into my hair today! I live in Shepherdstown, WV.

3. Robert Foster says:

Oran NY
    Had one on porch at neighbors house.
    Had look it up to find what it was.
    Thanks for web site info.

4. Dianne says:

Found one of these in my backyard this morning. Mesquite (Dallas County), Texas. Thanks for the ID.

5. Adriene Acocella says:

Found two here in Savannah, GA! 5/6/16!
    Thanks for the info.

6. stacy says:

Found one here in Galveston, Texas 5/24/2016.

7. Connie Wo says:

Just found one of these on our trampoline in Lexington, SC.

8. Aliesha2007 says:

Found in Trinity tx

9. Jason says:

I found one 2 miles north of Deland, Illinois at my dads house. It landed in the seat of my vehicle when I got out. Was somewhat startling at first when I picked it up. My 73 year old father had never seen one and the same as many of my friends. Dad did have a dead pine tree he had recently cut down. Not sure if that’s where it came from. He does live basically in the middle of a corn/been field. Haven’t seen any since. I just want to know how it got here in Illinois and why we haven’t ever seen any before and since I found it. I did give the bug to an animal doctor to make sure it was cared for properly. More info would be appreciated!

10. Melvin says:

Found one in my grill today, Newark, NJ

11. Evelyn Niceforo says:

I live in N. H. I have one on My Front Porch right now. I imagine it was attracted by the Porch Light last night. It jumped while on it’s back, but didn’t turn over, so I gently turned it over and left it there. Did I do the right thing?