Mystery Caterpillar
Location: Central Texas (Ft Hood Area)
I’m a field biologist working in central Texas and I stumble upon a lot of caterpillars during my work.
I found this particular one on a low growing oak species, possibly Shin Oak.
I was wondering if you might know what it is?
Signature: writerwren

American Lappet Moth Caterpillar

Dear writerwren,
We took a gamble and did a web search for “caterpillar red stripes” and we quickly identified your American Lappet Moth Caterpillar,
Phyllodesma americana, on BugGuide which states:  “Larva: body with blue, black/gray, white, and orange on the back, and densely hairy lobes (lappets) along sides; top of eighth abdominal segment with unpaired hump; when stretched out or alarmed, exposes bright orange band across top of second and third thoracic segments.”  Here is an image on BugGuide that shows the two red stripes.

Location: Texas

9 Responses to American Lappet Moth Caterpillar

1. Drew Carpenter says:

Just found one of these in Missouri at Mark Twain Lake. Very cool face!

2. Wendy Bowman says:

Found in Smithville, Texas

[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/2utkdv9.jpg[/IMG]

3. A.Allen says:

I live in Waco (Hewitt) Texas. We found one of these in our backyard today. We have a huge live oak tree and some other stuff. I guess it eats oak tree leaves? It was hanging out in my kids’ red wagon. I put on the tree and said “good luck!” after taking pics of it. Definitely an American Lappet, no doubt.

4. Mary Cooper says:

I had one in my driveway today. Interesting to watch.I’m mot sure how to leave a pic of it on here.

5. tracy long says:

I have one here in South Carolina

6. John says:

My daughter just found 2 in our yard in northern Minnesota.

7. Dwayne Cormier says:

Found one in Trenton, Pictou county Nova Scotia!

8. Shem Reber says:

Found one of these this morning in Carson Washington and it’s a cool looking little guy

9. Felicia says:

We just found one in Bushkill, Pennsylvania.