What kind of bug is this?
Location: Shoreham, NY
I’ve found several of these little critters all over my house – in the kitchen, in the bathroom, on random walls and on the rugs. They are very sluggish and tend to just sit there making them easy targets to do away with. They are black with a white or brownish band and are about a millimeter long. My home is located in a development which is surrounded by woods and the dirt the area is mostly clay if that helps. I first started seeing them this winter. It was very and very snowy. I saw them again today it had rained both yesterday and this evening. Thank for your help.
Signature: Lost in the Woods

Larder Beetle

Dear Lost,
You have Larder Beetles, a common pest of stored food products that has a cosmopolitan distribution.  Clean out the pantry and you should find the source of the infestation.

Location: New York

6 Responses to Larder Beetle

1. tori says:

Can these bugs come from animal feces? Because I’m finding them in my bathroom

2. PatG says:

I found 2 of these beetles in my cat’s food dish. Could they have been in his dry cat food when I purchased it? I also found another on the kitchen floor (about 5 feet from cat food dish) and one in the bathroom about 2 days later (about 15 feet from food dish).

Yes, it is entirely possible to buy dry pet food that has beetle larvae prior to bringing the product into the home.

3. CR says:

I have found these in my bedrooms

4. Adam P says:

I believe I will investigate the dry cat food theory Pat G. I am having same problem. Same bug. I never had an issue with bugs until we had indoor cats a couple years ago.