Dragonfly???
Location: Jacksonville FL
Hello again Bugman!! Could you perhaps tell me if this is a dragonfly or maybe a damselfly? Very cool colors on it! I can’t tell you how much I love what you are doing here. I reference this website all the time! :}
Thanks for you continued efforts!
Signature: Dan

Damselfly: Rambur's Forktail

Hi Dan,
This is a Damselfly, not a Dragonfly.  We have to confess that trying to identify Damselflies to the species level is a challenge for us.  We believe this is a Narrow Winged Damselfly in the family Coenagrionidae and possibly one of the Bluets in the genus
Enallagma which is well represented on BugGuide.  The green coloration on the fore part of the body and the singly turquoise abdominal ring would seem to be distinguishing features, but we cannot seem to find a match on BugGuide.  We did find a matching image online, but it is not identified.  Perhaps one of our readers will eventually write in with a species identification.

Location: Florida

4 Responses to Damselfly: Rambur's Forktail

1. DTManno says:

Thank you again! I really enjoy your site and I also enjoy sharing my insects with you and everyone else. :}

Posting a comment to your own post will ensure that you will be automatically notified if there are any future comments. Sometimes an insect will be properly identified several years later and our disorganized editorial staff cannot keep track of email addresses to provide any followup, but thankfully, our crack technical team has set things up to ensure that the information highway stays opened.

2. RenaudB says:

Good morning,

Here you have a male Ischnura ramburii.
    Ischnura are rather homogenous looking but location, green thorax, dark abdomen on top but with segment 8 all blue, no blue on S7 but blue on S9, bicolored pterostigmas, that’s ramburii.

Bye
    Renaud