Stick-shelled beetlepillar
Location: Australia (Sydney Basin)
My daughter found this wandering around my backyard. I’ve seen these before but always assumed they were a cocoon, rather than a sort of shell. This one has been around the backyard for at least a month as I have seen it hanging from trees, then mysteriously vanishing.
I also have video of it checking out the camera
Signature: Carey

Large Bagworm

Hi Carey,
This is a Bagworm in the family Psychidae, and we quickly identified it as a Large Bagworm or Saunder’s Case Moth,
Metura elongatus, on the Brisbane Insect Website.  The caterpillar forms a silken case containing plant material from its food plant that it remains in, eventually pupating inside of the case.  The adult female is wingless and she never leaves her case, using pheromones to attract a mate.  The Butterfly House website has images of the entire life cycle.

Thanks for that, my daughter was fascinated (so was I) to see
photographs of the adult moth.
Cheers
Carey

Location: Australia

4 Responses to Large Bagworm or Saunder's Case Moth from Australia

1. We want to know how to look after our ones properly can you tell us how?
    We have 3 Saunders case moth caterpillars (large bag worm ) ones really small ones medium sized and the other is quite big really big!!!!!! That one is really really brave/tame.

2. guy roberts says:

i live in sydney nsw and have been wondering what these caterpillars were it would seem they are saunders case moth which may explain the wasps that we get here look the same

3. Ailsa Ellwood says:

we have a very large bagmoth on our hedge, it is orange and brown in colour and retreats when disturbed. How long does it take to mutate into a moth and how big will it be when it comes out. Are the small ones the female bagworm if so will she die once she leaves her cocoon.