Tiny red rock mite
Location: Israel
April 1, 2011 10:10 am
Ever since I was a little boy I remember those tiny red mites on hot rocks basking in the sun, usually by the hundreds. They are bright red and leave a red stain when accidentally squished… they never bite me so I don’t think they are dangerous but now they are all over my porch where I keep the dogs and it has me worried. The picture is really the best I could give because the mite is so tiny (and I picked the largest one I could find!).
can you help me Identify this mite so I can learn about it more?
Signature: Thank you!, Alon.

Running Mite

Dear Alon,
We have always called these Running Mites, and to the best of our knowledge, they will not harm you or your pets.  There are so many species that look so similar, we cannot even hope to provide you with an accurate species identification.

Running Mite

Location: Israel

One Response to Running Mite from Israel

1. bmoc says:

This is a pollen-feeding mite known as Balaustium (family Erythraeidae). They’re often found on porches or decks in the spring when trees are shedding pollen. The “running mites” are predatory mites in the family Anystidae, genus Anystis. Balaustium mites are darker red and somewhat elongate, while Anystis are more orange and round in shape.