Please help identify
Location: dayton, OH
This is one of 6 of these bugs that I have found in my house. May have brought them in with firewood, but now the wood is outside, but I still see the bugs.
Signature: david hurwitz

Which Borer is it????

Hi David,
The fact that you found this beetle indoors, and that your letter indicates you had firewood might make an exact identification impossible.  This is a Borer Beetle in the genus
Megacyllene and there are two species that look nearly identical.  We generally distinguished them based upon the time of the sighting.  The Hickory Borer, Megacyllene caryae  (See BugGuide), appears in the spring while the Locust Borer, Megacyllene robiniae (see BugGuide), makes its appearance in the fall.  Since you had firewood stored indoors, the natural life cycle may have been upset, causing the Locust Borers to emerge early.  Neither species will harm your home.

Actually,  the firewood was only brought inside in  Feb.  and taken back outside mid march.  But you did answer my main question – harmful to the house.   Thank you.

Location: Ohio