What kind of beetle is this?
Location: Sheffield, Massachusetts, The Berkshires
March 31, 2011 11:02 am
Hi…
I’m having a lot of fun on your page and I’m wondering if you can help me identify a beetle.
A few times a year, my girlfriend and I visit a friend’s country home in the Berkshires region of Western Massachusetts. In the summer, it’s mosquito CRAZY there. But in the colder months, there seems to be a migration of beetles into the house.
They are upstairs. They are downstairs. They are in the shower. We wonder what they could find to eat in the upstairs bedrooms.
They don’t bother us too much although we are sure to keep our suitcases shut tight. Occasionally, we’ll pick them up with a tissue and place them outside. I do wonder if we are sending them to die in the cold.
We don’t live there, so we’re not too concerned. But…if we did, what do you suggest would be the most humane way to deal with a beetle invasion like this one?
I’m sorry the photos aren’t more clear. They were taken with my phone camera.
Thanks much for any information you can share about these little creatures!
Signature: Todd from Brooklyn

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Todd,
This is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, not a beetle.  The Western Conifer Seed Bug,
Leptoglossus occidentalis, is native to the Pacific Northwest, but beginning in the 1960s, it began to appear in Eastern States and Canada.  In the early 21st Century, there were reports from Northern Europe.  It is unclear exactly how the range of the Western Conifer Seed Bug began to expand, but your letter brings up an interesting possibility.  Western Conifer Seed Bugs often enter homes as the weather cools so that they can hibernate.  You mention keeping your suitcase shut tight.  It is entirely possible that the range of the Western Conifer Seed Bug increased due to tourism by hitchhiking in luggage.  We do not give extermination advice.  Placing the beetles outside is not, in our mind, inhumane.

Hey Daniel,
Thanks again for all the good info.
They sure do like to come inside!
And I’m happy to say, I haven’t spotted any back
in my apartment in Brooklyn.
Thanks for all the good bug information!
With appreciation,
-todd

Location: Massachusetts