A very big & gracious……….THANK U SO VERY MUCH
March 30, 2011 11:10 am
I’m an absolute virgin to the internet, but am very grateful to your site.      I have identified that I have an infestation of the varied carpet beetle (NOT bed bugs as was my 1st thought).                                   My QUESTION is:     How do I deter and remove them from my home without KILLING or HARMING them in anyway? ….. Also ….. what outside habitat do the prefer, IF – I’m able to find them.?                           I do know & understand u r a small group of volunteers, that you have a lot of work to do for your site and u cant possibly read or reply to all the questions & queries sent to u.  If u do happen to read this it would be most appreciated if u dont have the answers if  can give me another web address where I can find my answers.               Yours   Truly & Utterly Grateful,                from  Shelley,frae SCOTLAND.   U.K.
Signature: Shelley

Carpet Beetles

Hi Shelley,
Your complimentary email touched us and we want you to know that we do not frown upon “internet virgins” visiting our website.  We are happy to hear you had a good experience.  We have chosen a photo from our archives of Varied Carpet Beetles,
Anthrenus verbasci, taken by Tina, to accompany your letter.  This particular photo shows the adults in their preferred habitat, the garden.  Adult Varied Carpet Beetles feed upon pollen, and were it not for the potentially destructive tendencies of the larvae, which feed upon organic fibers, they might be considered a beneficial species.  Varied Carpet Beetles have adapted to living with humans, and they are one of the most commonly encountered species to be found in the home.  Because the larvae may damage woolen rugs and other articles made of fur and feathers they are considered a household pest, but they also feed upon accumulated pet hair in the home.  Adults are most commonly noticed on window sills.  They need to get outside to feed upon pollen, and the adults will not damage the home.  We would suggest a small whisk broom and dust pan for capturing the adults so that they may be released outdoors.  Frequent vacuuming under beds and under couch cushions and similar locations will minimize the presence of the larvae and then reduce the numbers of adults you find indoors.  Identification requests of both adult and larval Carpet Beetles have been among our most common queries this year.  We seriously contemplated making the Carpet Beetle the Bug of the Month again this past winter.  Instead, we have been regularly highlighting it in our relatively new featured section at the top of our home page.