Is this a spider?
Location: Machakos, Kenya
Hi, I found this guy trying to get under our front door. When I tried to sweep him out he grabbed hold of the bristles of our broom. Is he a spider and do you think he’s poisonous?
Signature: Marc

Tailless Whipscorpion

Hi Marc,
This is a Tailless Whipscorpion.  Like Spiders and Scorpions, the Tailless Whipscorpion is an Arachnid, but unlike Spiders and Scorpions which are venomous, the Tailless Whipscorpion lacks venom.  It is possible that they might bite if carelessly handled, but the bite does not contain poison.  This Tailless Whipscorpion grasped the broom with its modified pedipalps.  Like Scorpions, the pedipalps of the Tailless Whipscorpion are modified into grasping appendages, unlike the pedipalps of spiders.  Tailless Whipscorpions are shy nocturnal hunters that prey upon Cockroaches and other arthropods that are generally not welcomed in the home.

Tailless Whipscorpion grasps broom

Location: Africa