What’s those bugs on top of the springtails?
Location: Tonasket, WA, or… MY BACKYARD! HAHAHAH
I know, it’s annoying when the location is ”My backyard/car/house”, yet it makes me laugh every time I see it. And I wasn’t embarrassed enough to change the picture title once I figured out they were springtails. I hope the legs, segments and antenna come thru for you. I’m thinking babies floating on a raft of adults! They definately move and squirm, and they didn’t appear to be eating the purple ones. It’s been in the mid 40’s/day and high 20’s/low 30’s at night. They are in a wanna-be-bird bath somebody tried to make, really just a 1/2 gallon or so of water. Lots of leaves in the bottom. Please crop and blow up whichever one is best for you, because I know you can do it better! Thank you for all the delight, education and beauty your dedication gives to all of us!
Signature: Cathy

Springtails

Hi Cathy,
We are happy to hear that our sometime ornery responses to people have amused you.  We agree that you have discovered a mass of Springtails, but trying to identify Springtails beyond the class Collembola is a challenge for us.  We believe your specimens are probably in the order Poduromorpha based on photos posted to BugGuide, though BugGuide does not have any photographs that illustrate the light and dark individuals that your photograph clearly represents.  Our best guess is that these are all the same species of Springtail in the famly Hypogastruridae (see BugGuide), but that the freshly molted individuals are lighter in color.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to add to that explanation or dispute it.

Location: Washington

2 Responses to Springtails

1. deltanine says:

Looks like it might be a small aggregation of Anurida Maritima.

Thanks for your suggestion. Though BugGuide does not provide any information on the info page for Anurida maritima, we suspect this species is limited to saltwater ecosystems, not garden habitats.