What’s that bug?
Location: Gold Head State Park area, Florida
Wondering if you can ID this well-camouflaged bug
Signature: Florida Trail Hiker

Southern Green-Striped Grasshopper

Hi Florida Trail Hiker,
After a brief search, we believe we have identified your grasshopper as a Southern Green-Striped Grasshopper,
Chortophaga australior, based on images posted to BugGuide. BugGuide indicates: “There are two color forms present in this species, a green form: …and a brown form: …with intermediates found in both sexes. The principal difference between forms is found in the coloring of the head, thorax, and outer face of the hind femora. The median ridge on the pronotum is slightly elevated. An X-shaped mark is present on the dorsal surface of the pronotum in the brown forms. The leading edge of the forewings is marked with 2–3 large green or light brown spots, with the balance of the forewings colored dark brown. The most important distinguishing character of this species is the color of the hind wing. Unlike Florida’s other bandwinged species, southern greenstriped grasshopper lacks a bold, black, transverse band on the hind wing. The black band is present, but greatly muted, reduced to no more than a smoky area in many individuals. Similarly, the yellow in the basal area of the hind wing is muted to absent. The upper surface of the hind femora usually is marked with about 3 large dark spots; the central or largest spot is triangular when viewed from above. The hind tibiae are brown or bluish green.”

Southern Green-Striped Grasshopper

THANK YOU very much.  I did my best to try to ID this creature, and erroneously came up with Obscure Bird Grasshopper.  I sure appreciate your taking the time to give the pictures a look, and set me straight.
Sincerely,
Marilyn Beckley (Florida Trail Hiker)

Location: Florida