March 18, 2011

Boris (top) and Media Luna two years later

Boris, Medea Luna, Lefty and Digitalis are about to celebrate their second anniversary since moving to Mt. Washington shortly after the nitrates dropped in the aquarium we had set up two weeks earlier.  Boris and Medea Luna with Digitalis laid a batch of eggs four days later on March 31, 2009.

Boris and Blue Ram

Boris and Medea Luna laid a batch of eggs about a month ago.  The young were removed with a turkey baster just before they became free swimming.  They are living in the bathroom in the nursery aquarium.  The parents moved them about and chased away the single Blue Ram and the two Cardinal Tetras, the last remaining fish from the originally stocked aquarium from March 2009.  Lefty and Digitalis have a brood of 2 week old fry right now.  This is the largest brood ever I believe.

Boris (top) and Medea Luna

Boris and Medea Luna are paler than usual tonight.  I will photograph Lefty and Digitalis tomorrow when there is daylight.

Rummy Nose Tetras and Angelings

These little beauties are the offspring of Lefty and Digitalis and they were born quite a few months ago.  I cleaned out the filter in the growout aquarium.

Breeding Stock Fledgling

This guy is from two broods ago.  I saved the prettiest of the brood.  This fledgling is the pick of the litter.

11 Rummynose Tetras and some Angelings

One Response to 2nd Anniversary Approaching: Sunday 27 March 2011

1. […] the fry are small enough to get sucked up.  It should be noted that the last batch of fry that Boris and Medea Luna had a brood in February, and most of that brood had unattractive mutations, including many with only one ventral fin and a […]