What is this?
Location: Gwynn Oak, MD
March 17, 2011 9:01 am
HI,
I have 3 or 4 of these things in my juniper bush. I am not sure what it is and want to know if they are safe to have on the bush and at my front door.
thanks,
Signature: M. Kelly

Cedar Apple Rust Gall on Juniper

Dear M. Kelly,
Abnormal Growths on plants are known as galls, and many are caused by insects and mites, though there are other additional causes for plants to produce galls.  We did a search for Galls on Juniper and we immediately discovered the Cedar Cedar Rust Gall on the University of Michigan Integrated Pest Management for Home Apple Growers web page.  You need to scroll down the page to get the information, which includes:  “Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae  Cedar-apple rust is a fungal disease that spends half of its life cycle infecting apple or crab apple trees, and the other half infecting Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana) or other species of juniper (Juniperus sp.). This disease can cause damage to leaves and fruit of very susceptible apple varieties, but is only a minor problem on resistant or partially resistant trees.”  There is also a nice photo of the gall on FlickR.

Thank you very much for the information!!!!
I will cut them off and dispose of them and follow up and read the web pages you included in your response. Not that I like it, I can deal with a fungus better than bag worms or other insects.
I appreciate your quick response. 🙂
M Kelly

Location: Maryland