Delightful insect!
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
Hello!
I found this little guy in our central Virginia windowsill one morning. I’ve seen a lot of bugs, but I’ve never seen one like this one before. I’m not sure if it’s a wasp or some type of fly. It was only about 1/4 of an inch when all curled up. The wings were iridescent purple on the back, which unfortunately didn’t show through on the pictures. I left him unattended, and unfortunately during that time, my mom found him and, not realizing how cool I thought he was, she threw him in the garbage. I did get a few fairly good pictures before then, thankfully. Anyway, I’d love some help in identifying it. I’ve browsed whatsthatbug many times in the past, and can’t remember seeing a match. Thanks for your help!
Signature: Jessica

Cuckoo Wasp

Hi Jessica,
This jewel like beauty is a Cuckoo Wasp in the family Chrysididae which you may verify on Bugguide.  According to BugGuide:  “Scientific name is from Greek, chryso, meaning ‘gold’, referring to the metallic golden coloration of some species. The name ‘cuckoo wasp’ is attributed to the fact that this insect, like the cuckoo bird, lays her eggs in the nest of an unsuspecting host.”

Location: Virginia