Location:  South Africa, in captivity
March 6, 2011
Attached are pictures of my Brazilian Red and White molting. I had a few good pictures but you can decide which ones to include. There is one of the shed skin that shows the size of the spider.

Tarantula Molting

This is my Brazilian Red and White Tarantula molting. The scientific name seems to be Nhandu chromatus, but as you have mentioned I also use the web to do research and this may be wrong.
It almost seems as if she’s dead and a lot of inexperienced tarantula keepers do not realize this and many tarantulas have been thrown in the trash. If someone would like to have a pet tarantula, please do your homework before getting one. They are fairly easy to look after but be prepared to have a pet “rock”. They will sit for hours and do nothing and some borrow underground and you might see them 5 times a year. They are however fascinating and I love these misunderstood creatures.
I hope you enjoy these pictures of my beauty molting.
Regards,
Henk Kramer
P.S. Daniel, please let me know if I should rather submit through your site. I just struggle with uploading the pictures.
Thank you again for an awesome site! And I hope I am not flooding your mailbox.

Tarantula Exuvia

Hi Henk,
We are sorry to hear you are having problems uploading images.  Thanks for sending all these photos of your very pretty Brazilian Tarantula.  We had a difficult time selecting three images that are representative of the molting process.

Freshly Molted Tarantula

Addendum: We decided to add one more image of your freshly molted Tarantula playing dead.

Molted Tarantula playing dead

Location: Africa

2 Responses to Brazilian Red and White Tarantula Molting in Captivity

1. Poxicator says:

Yes, this is definitely Nhandu chromatus, commonly known as Brazilian Red and White Tarantula. There are 2 similar tarantula to this which includes the Acanthoscuria geniculata, known as Brazilian White Knee. Both have a voracious appetite, possess urticating hairs and can be quite skittish. Infact I’ve personally found N. chromatus to be a bit more aggressive than their larger cousins A. geniculata.
    The moulting process of such large tarantula can take over 12 hours, which leaves them in a rather vulnerable state, but they’ll be quite dormant whilst they recover from shedding not just their outer body, but their lungs, stomach pump and a complete replacement of their sexual organs!