African Huntsman
Location: South Africa
February 24, 2011 8:50 am
Hi there,
I love your site. I stumbled upon it while looking for sites about Tarantulas and have been hooked since.
I am icluding a few pictures of the African Huntsman(Sparassidae family) from South Africa. I just love spiders and have raised 6 Tarantulas since they were spiderlings. I also catch spiders in friends houses before they get killed and set them free. The pictures are of one of these spiders that I caught and released after feeding it. The Huntsman from South Africa.
Henk

Huntsman Spider

Dear Henk,
Thanks so much for taking the time to submit these awesome photos of your South African Huntsman Spider.  We really enjoyed your email championing the rights of spiders to cohabitate with humans.

Huntsman Spider

Ed. Note: March 4, 2011
There was a delay in posting this submission due to corrupted photo files.  Thankfully, Henk resent the images of this South African beauty.

Huntsman Spider

Location: Africa

5 Responses to South African Huntsman Spider makes great pet

1. hckramer says:

Only after sending these photos in, I though it good to just warn the readers. Spiders are beautiful and very few have medicaly significant bites. Please do not try to just handle any spider. I have spiders as pets and through experience I handle them sometimes like when cleaning their cages. I also only handle some of them and not often. If you respect them, they will respect you. Every time I handle a spiders for what ever reason, I prepare myself that I will be bitten. Has not happened yet but you have to remeber that it can happen and usualy results in a flying spider who might not survive the fall.

Just a friendly warning.

2. Ezzarat says:

To me, the underside of this spider’s legs scream Badge huntsmen. Could this spider be from the Genus Neosparassus?

3. Johan says:

Huntsman spiders, members of the family Sparassidae (formerly Heteropodidae), are known by this name because of their speed and mode of hunting. They also are called giant crab spiders because of their size and appearance. Larger species sometimes are referred to as wood spiders, because of their preference for woody places (forests, mine shafts, woodpiles, wooden shacks). In southern Africa the genus Palystes are known as rain spiders or lizard-eating spiders.[3] Commonly they are confused with baboon spiders from the Mygalomorphae infraorder, which are not closely related.

More than a thousand Sparassidae species occur in most warm temperate to tropical regions of the world, including much of Australasia, Africa, Asia, the Mediterranean Basin, and the Americas.[4]

Several species of huntsman spider can use an unusual form of locomotion. The wheel spider (Carparachne aureoflava) from the Namib uses a cartwheeling motion, while Cebrennus rechenbergi uses a handspring motion.

4. Lisa says:

Lisa from Durban, South Africa here. We had one of these spiders on our garden bench this morning. Quite a surprise during morning coffee!