Western Conifer Seed Beetle
Location: Massachusetts
February 21, 2011 2:06 pm
I purchased a house in Massachusetts, about 20 miles from Boston. Not long after moving in, I began seeing one or two beetles, identified on your web site today (thank you!) as a western conifer seed beetle. Even in the winter months, I continue to see one or two, occasionally more, bugs appear daily. Where are they coming from? What can I do to eliminate them?
Thank you.
-Dean-
p.s. I tried to register on your web site, but that process failed each time.
Signature: Thank you

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Dear Dean,
The Western Conifer Seed Bug,
Leptoglossus occidentalis, was originally native to the Pacific Northwest, but its range expanded drastically in the late 1960s and early 1970s to include the Eastern portions of the US and Canada, where it is apparently quite happy.  Reports of Western Conifer Seed Bugs from Northern Europe began to appear in the early 21st Century.  After seeing your photo, we realize that the US Postal Service may be used to increase the range of the Western Conifer Seed Bug as well as probably other species.  Western Conifer Seed Bugs enter homes as the weather begins to cool.  They hibernate but will not cause any damage.  We are copying our ace webmaster to see if he can assist with the registration problem you are having.

Location: Massachusetts

2 Responses to Western Conifer Seed Bug may be using the postal service to increase its range!!!!

1. Samantha says:

I have the same bug in and around my home in Washington also.