What in the world is this?
Location: Rancho Palos Verdes, southern California
February 20, 2011 6:39 pm
One morning my son wandered into our garage and uttered this blood-curdling screech. There on the floor was this guy. It was about 2 inches long (maybe even a big bigger) and resembled a giant wingless bee.
Being an intrepid scientist, as my 12 year old ran screaming back into the house, I dashed out to the garage with a bowl to trap the critter. I brought him/her into the house so we could all look at this baby a bit closer.
I’m hoping it’s not something that will munch on my house because I let it go in the field behind the house.
The picture is a bit blurry because my buggy friend is in a bowl with a very thick piece of glass on top. Any thoughts?
Signature: Jules

Potato Bug

I found the answer!
February 20, 2011 7:19 pm
Well I looked back through your blog and found the answer to the question I had asked earlier. The little critter that was visiting my garage was a Jerusalem cricket.
Thanks for the great blog and the answer to my question.
Signature: Jules

Hi Jules,
We are pleased that our archive provided you with your answer.  Potato Bug sightings are most common in the winter after rains.