Namibian Moth???
Location: Windhoek, Namibia
February 21, 2011 5:27 pm
Dear All,
I just found this insect and I have never seen anyting like it before – I don’t think its a butterfly but could it be a moth of some sort??
I found it during the day but we have had a very heavy rainy season (not sure if this is helpfull in any way)and its around 20mm in length and about 40mm wide.
Any advce in this regard ould be greatly appreciated.
Signature: Ernst A. Schnaitmann

Maid Alice Wasp Moth

Hi Ernst,
You are correct that this is a Moth.  We believe it is a Wasp Moth in the subtribe Euchromiina, so named because the diurnal adults mimic wasps.  We do not have time to try to identify the species at the moment, but perhaps on of our readers will have some success while we are at work.

Maid Alice Wasp Moth

Karl provides an identification
Hi Daniel and Ernst:
This looks like another ‘Handmaiden’ wasp moth, probably Amata alicia. Check out a previous WTB? post by Gabriel on November 18, 2010, or this excellent photo of a Maid Alice on the African Moths website. Regards. Karl

Location: Africa