THAILAND BUG
Location: Khon Kaen, Thailand
February 20, 2011 8:17 am
I happen to be in a remote village in the northeast of Thailand and chanced upon this beautiful bug. Could you please help me identify the first picture?
The second picture is actually our snack this afternoon, just to share with you.
Signature: Joseph

Longicorn

Hi Joseph,
Your beetle is a Long Horned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae.  They are frequently called Longicorns.  We are trying to tear ourselves away from the computer to enjoy the morning sunshine since we have had a string of storms here in Los Angeles the past few days, so we are not going to take the time at the moment to hunt down a species identification for you.  Perhaps one of our readers will provide a comment.  Your snack appears to be Crickets with Green Onions, but we are not certain.  Can you verify the identity of your snack as well as providing any information on where you purchased it?  We understand insect food items are commonly sold by street vendors in Thailand.

Bug Snack might be Crickets

Thanks for your quick reply.
The snack is not cricket with green onions. I really have no idea the English name but in Thailand it is know as “maeng-ser-din” it is not even a Thai language but rather a dialect spoken by the north-east people of Thailand which constitute the largest group of ethnic people in Thailand. They are known as the Essan or Isaan people. If you follow the news here they belong to the red shirt people. I could not find a live maeng-ser-din so I Googled and found this:
These are not like from the drain or some dirty places on the contrary they are reared in a form like his:
As for the green stuff it is commonly known as Pandan leaf here. South East Asian cooking uses a lot of this to add a natural sweet fragrance or natural green colour to the food. It is also use to wrap food and deserts to add fragrance. The other name is Screw Pine leaf or Pandanus and looks like this:
joe

Crickets: Photo from the Internet

Thanks for the follow up Joe.  We wish you had included links to the images you found.  We had no luck googling “maeng-ser-din” and we wanted to allow our readership to see the images you attached to your response.  We don’t normally use images grabbed from the internet, but in this case, we are making an exception.  The image you attached does depict Crickets, and Crickets are easy to raise in bulk in captivity.

Identification Courtesy of Karl
Hi Daniel and Joseph:
The Longicorn appears to be a female Gerania bosci (Lamiinae:  Lamiini), which occurs from India to Indonesia. There is some variability in the coloration, ranging from brown to black markings on a nearly white to bright yellow background. The males are larger and have much elongated appendages. Regards. Karl

Location: Thailand