Wasp, fly, cricket combo
Location: Houston ,TX
February 18, 2011 3:35 pm
Every spring and summer these little buggers end up in our bathrooms. This has happened in every house we have lived in and I cannot figure out what they are or how they get in. They sting and usually only come in one at a time, but we get a new one every few days for months on end.
Signature: Kelly Peyton

Ensign Wasp

I just found out what it is after searching “Houston” on your site…It’s an ensign wasp and I guess although they look like they sting they don’t? They sure have a BIG stinger!

Hi Kelly,
We are happy to hear you identified your Ensign Wasp using our archives.  We are surprised that you are reporting that they sting.  We believe the stinger is actually an ovipositor but in some insects, the ovipositor also serves as a stinger.  We hope you still consider the Ensign Wasp to be beneficial since the female parasitizes the ootheca or egg case of Cockroaches.