What type on God’s green earth is this moth?????
Location: Cairns, Queensland, Australia
February 18, 2011 3:48 am
This photo was taken last night on the screen door of my cousin’s apartment in Cairns, Australia. What sort of moth is it??? Is there something wrong with it – it looks like it has eggs or bubbles or something on it’s head. My cousin also said it has ’horns’
Signature: Researched Out!

noctuoid_australia

Dear Researched Out,
We are exhausted thinking about what it must be like to research this creature.  We believe it is a member of the superfamily Noctuoidea, and in a playful moment, we would call it a Noctuoid.  We can’t help but to wonder if that odd blue head is a trait of this moth, or if there is something alien going on.  We don’t have the time to research this at the moment, and we might even believe it would be a fruitless search.

Update from Karl
Hi Daniel and Researched Out:
I don’t know if I can advance this any further but I will give it a shot.  It is unfortunate that the photo isn’t a little sharper because there appear to be some fairly distinctive details that are frustratingly not quite discernible.  The overall appearance and color look a lot like the Fruit-piercing Moth (Noctuidae: Catocalinae), Eudocima iridescens (formerly Othreis iridescens). The front end of this moth is definitely strange and interesting and could perhaps, under certain conditions, be interpreted as covered in bubbles (if they really were bubbles then I remain stumped). It has a distinctive ruff of raised feathery hairs that looks similar to your photo. This could give the appearance of ‘horns’, and I did come across one site that described the females as having horns.  Does this look something like what you saw? Regards.  Karl.

Location: Australia

3 Responses to Moth from Australia

1. aussietrev says:

Hi guys,
    could be something in the PLUSIINAE, they have the habit of assuming this wing posture and have quite ornate features of bunched haor on the thorax that resemble horns in some. The blue colour could be flash aberration, I took a shot of a drab grey Sphinidae, Macroglossum joannisi, in poor light using flash and it lit up in all shades of metallic green reflection. http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/sphi/joannisi.html

2. aussietrev says:

Sorry about the typos, should be hair, not haor, and of course should be Sphingidae, its late, that’s my excuse.