Nymph
Location: Cochise County, Arizona
February 14, 2011 8:15 pm
Dear Bugdude,
A friend took these photos and gave me permission to send them in. She photographed the nymph in a stream in the Chiricahua Mountains, Cochise County, Arizona, it was about 2 – 2 1/2 inches in lenght. I’ve searched and searched the internet and cannot seem to locate a photo to identify this nymph.
Signature: Huh?

Hellgrammite

Dear Huh?,
This appears to be a Hellgrammite, the larva of a Dobsonfly or Fishfly in the family Corydalidae which you may compare to this image on BugGuide.  Most of our images of Hellgrammites are from the Eastern Dobsonfly,
Corydalus cornutus, and BugGuide does not report them any further west than Texas, however, BugGuide does report a genus member being sighted in Arizona, and the information page on the genus on BugGuide does list four species, with this information:  “Corydalus texana – SW US west of the Rocky Mountains” and “Corydalus bidenticulatus – Arizona” indicating that this individual may be either of those species.

Location: Arizona