Interesting caterpillar
Location: Orange, California
February 7, 2011 3:15 am
I was outside today gardening and hanging out with my cats when I saw this caterpillar in the garden. At first I thought nothing of it because I rarely see caterpillars in my garden on grass growing between bricks and I didn’t think it was one because of the shape and where it was. (I’m not sure where it came from because we had been cutting, trimming and removing plants from our garden.) But I went back and to my surprise it had a fat head/neck. And on further inspection It was black with yellow stripes. And small little yellow spots. It kind of reminded me of an army worm but I don’t think it is because of the body/head shape and plus it was so small. I took it to my butterfly bush and hope to see if I can find it tomorrow.
Signature: Samantha

Galgula partita Caterpillar

Hi Samantha,
We tried browsing through the Cutworms in the very large subfamily Noctuinae on BugGuide to no avail.  We are so amused by your photos that we are posting them in the hope that one of our readers may eventually supply us with a species identification.  Your Caterpillar makes an interesting fashion accessory.

Followup Query
June 5, 2011 2:08 am
Hi, I sent these pics to you in feburary and was wondering if you got any information on them? I’m still interested in knowing what kind of caterpillar this is. Thank you..
Samantha

Hi Samantha,
We did not have any luck in our initial attempt to identify this caterpillar, and unfortunately, none of our readers ever supplied us with an identification.  Sorry to disappoint you.  Sometimes identifications eventually happen months or years after the initial posting.

Update:  February 16, 2014
We just received a comment indicating that this looks like the caterpillar of the Wedgeling Moth, Galgula partita, and upon viewing examples on BugGuide, we concur that it looks like a match.  According to BugGuide:  “The larvae feed on Oxalis sp. (wood sorrel).”

2 Responses to Unidentified Caterpillar is Galgula partita

1. Sandra Volk says:

You might check Galgula partita, the Wedgeling Moth caterpillar.

Thanks for supplying a species identification of Galgula partita on this old, unidentified caterpillar posting. We have updated the posting and provided some links to BugGuide images.