weird totally strange insect w over the top HAIR DO
Location: KUCHING MALAYSIA NEAR SARAWAK RIVER
February 7, 2011 1:59 pm
HI, FOUND ABOUT 6 OF THESE MARVELOUS CREATURES ON A LEAF IN KUCHING MALAYSIA. DIDNT HOP AROUND THE WAY A LEAFHOOPER WOULD BUT HELD THEIR GROUND MORE LIKE STOUT CATERPILLARS AND WAVED THIS RASTA HAIR LIKE BRAIDS AROUND ABIT. SO WHAT THESE THINGS TURN INTO THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLIES IN THE WORLD OR THEY JUST PLAIN SCARY.
Signature: HEIDEN999

Tortoise Beetle Larvae

Dear HEIDEN999,
These are Tortoise Beetle Larvae in the tribe Cassidini.  Knowing the plant they were feeding upon might help to more easily identify the species.  We have not had any luck finding an exact match to your species, but there are many similar looking examples in our archives and on the web.

hi daniel,    thanks for the fast ID on my weird larvae.   so they are tortoise beetles hey ..well these beautiful tortoise beetles happen to be close by perhaps this is an adult???   I have sent an attached image.     it looks like they are feeding on the same type leaf.  could this be a match???   thanks,      gary heiden

Tortoise Beetle

Hi Gary,
Based on the information you have provided, we believe it is an excellent possibility that the adult Tortoise Beetle feeding on the same plant is the same species as the larvae.  We could not locate a match on the World’s Best Photos of Cassidinae Flickr Hive Mind website.

Location: Malaysia