Sydney bee or fly
Location: Warrawee, Sydney, Australia
February 4, 2011 11:15 pm
Can you identify this bee or fly. A number of them appeared in my garden in Warrawee (Sydney, Australia)a few days ago. They congregate on or under bush leaves with some shade from the summer sun.
I’ve checked the native bee site and it doesn’t appear there.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Signature: Mike Warren

Native Drone Fly

Hi Mike,
Probably so it will not be confused with the introduced European Drone Fly,
Eristalis tenax, your species which we identified on the Brisbane Insect Website, Eristalinus punctulatus, is referred to as the Native Drone Fly.  According to Oz Animals:  “The Native Drone Fly is a brightly coloured hover fly with large strange spotted eyes. The body is black and orange striped. They have a hovering flight and make a droning noise like a bee, hence the common name.”  The common name Native Drone Fly might create confusion in places other than Australia.

Native Drone Fly

Many thanks, I saw the Brisbane Insect Website but couldn’t find a matching photo.  It is definitely the one, with very distinctive markings.  So I guess I don’t need to worry about a swarm or think about honey!!  Given the very warm weather, they may have been seeking moisture and shade from the heat wave conditions we had last week.  It’s cooled down now, so will be interesting to see if they stay around.
Many thanks for your help with identification.
Regards,
Mike Warren

Location: Australia

One Response to Native Drone Fly from Australia

1. Mark says:

We see a lot of these Drone Flies in Cranbourne in Victoria (Australia). They are often seen zooming around our fruit tress. Their “rat-larvae” they leave in our pond are also an interesting sight. They provide a lot of protein for my fish.