large green armored bug (moth?)
Location: Lahaina, Maui, HI
February 1, 2011 12:33 am
I asked some locals, but no one seems to know what this is. Everyone is impressed by it though. It was about 3”x3” more or less. All feedback is greatly appreciated
Signature: Cindy

Oleander Hawkmoth

Hi Cindy,
The Oleander Hawkmoth pictured in your photograph is a species native to Africa and Asia, but because its caterpillar feeds upon the leaves of the poisonous oleander, the range of the species now includes Hawaii because the climate is conducive to survival and the food plant is cultivated.  According to the Sphingidae of the Americas website:  “In 1974, this species was recorded as having established itself in Hawaii.

Location: Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii

7 Responses to Oleander Hawkmoth from Hawail

1. Danielle Geslao says:

I have found one of these such moths in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. I have never seen anything quite like this!

2. Sydney Day says:

Well I’m in South Africa and found this like in this week.

3. forest steward says:

I just found a Oleander Hawkmoth in my backyard Baltimore Maryland .

4. Shaun says:

I found one of these today on my break at work. He was on the side of my building. I took pictures and everything. Such a beautiful creature. Never seen one before here in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland except for today.