Ed. Note:  August 7, 2011
Please do not submit photos to our website that you do not have permission to use.  We do not tolerate copyright infringement.

Crazy Big Bug
Location: Killeen, TX
Well I woke up to go to work one day aroung 5:30 am, and this bug was on the outside wall next to my door. This was back in November, it was pretty cold then so I was really surprised to see this guy just chillin on my wall.
Signature: X-Soldier

Jo Ann's photo returns to What's That Bug? Corydalus cornutus - Eastern Dobsonfly Male July 10 2008 Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania

Dear X-soldier,
That male Dobsonfly is sure a handful.  Though we are quite certain this image will give some of our website visitors nightmares, the male Dobsonfly is quite harmless as those incredible mandibles are useless for biting.  Though the female Dobsonfly is also harmless, her more utilitarian mandibles might deliver a painful pinch if she is carelessly handled.  The larvae of the Dobsonfly are known as Hellgrammites, and they are a favored bait for freshwater fishermen.

Hey Daniel, I really appreciate you getting back to me with this bug. When I told people about it no one believed me. Thanks again for the help!

Update:  August 7, 2011
We just learned today that the image that was submitted with this letter was not taken by X-soldier.  This image was taken by Jo Ann Poe-McGavin in 2008 and it was posted on the Pennsylvania Wild website.  At Jo Ann’s request, we have removed the image to avoid copyright infringement.  See the attached comments for additional information.

Copyright violation & log in
Website: www.pawild.net
The Dobson Fly male photo on:
category/dobsonflies-and-fishflies/page/4/
Posted by x-soldier was actually taken by me in 2008 and the copyright notice on the photo was removed-I have the original on file with the original EXIF data
I would like the senders information to inform them of copyright violation
also your website does not allow log in
The information was give to you was false as well. This photo was taken in 2008 in Pennsylvania.
Signature: Jo Ann Poe-McGavin

Dear Jo Ann,
We apologize for this copyright infringement.  We were not aware that the image was not taken by x-soldier.  For the record, we did not remove the copyright.  We are attaching the original file that we downloaded before we cropped and resized it.
The image will be immediately removed from What’s That Bug?  Should you decide to allow us to continue to keep the photo posted on our site, we will provide an editor’s comment explaining the situation and we will give you full credit as well as linking to your site.
We want to reiterate that we did not pilfer this image from your site and then remove the copyright information.  We do not know how x-soldier obtained the image.
Please advise.
Daniel Marlos, AKA the Bugman
P.S.  We will try to locate the contact information for X-soldier and forward it to you, but we often delete emails.

Dear Daniel
I’m not sure how this image was pilfered or when-except that it might have downloaded from it’s post on my Deviant Art account or PAWild (my website) and someone-not you-removed the copyright info-I’ve been finding this photo on many sites in this condition posted by numerous people and they provide false information. Each gives a different name and date when it was taken and where. Sigh…..
I don’t mind your site using it if the proper info is given. Credit, date, etc.  Corydalus cornutus – Eastern Dobsonfly Male July 10 2008 Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
I am attaching the photo as it appears on my website and how it should be.
If you can’t find the info on the sender-that’s okay-more than likely they will deny everything-as usual.
Thanks for your time on this
Jo
www.pawild.net

Thanks Jo Ann,
We have returned the photo to the posting along with much of our dialog.

Dear Daniel
That’s just fine-and way more than I expected.
I apologize for not writing back sooner but due to someone calling with a Rattlesnake in their yard and a minor health problem-I wasn’t able to answer until now.
Thank-you for fixing it up.  :3
Jo
www.pawild.net

I think you’re website is awesome-I have looked at it many times-especially while looking for the caterpillar that stung me-Saddlebacks and the like. I am also fascinated by the related species posted from other countries.
Just curious did the other one listed below come from the same IP? I’m not sure why someone would go through such trouble to post someone else’s photo and ask for information when most people can take their own photo. I get sent some pretty bad photos of snakes (and drawings-classic-I love them) but I can still ID them. Nothing people try to ID is worthless if they found it.
BTW-more than likely you’ll never hear from the poster again. If you do-I’d love to see what they post.
Again thanks!
Jo
www.pawild.net

Hi again Jo Ann,
Since our staff is divided between editorial and technical, and since we get such a large number of requests, the person who responds to the emails doesn’t really monitor the IP addresses.  We do have some frequent contributors though, but they submit their own photographs.  The monitoring of internet piracy can really become a fulltime job that our small staff does not have the luxury of employing.  We actually get our share of drawings and we try to post the most amusing ones.  That reminds us that we just received a drawing that we believe is a Robber Fly, and though we responded, we did not have the time to post it.  We may try to hunt that one down and do it now.  Had the internet been around before Daniel fled Youngstown, Ohio on the Pennsylvania border in the late 1970s, he probably would have been a frequent user of your site.

Location: Pennsylvania

7 Responses to Copyright Infringement: Male Dobsonfly is a handful

1. seto2112 says:

I am informing you and the site owner that this photo was taken in Pennsylvania in 2008 by Jo Ann Poe-McGavin. This is a direct violation of copyright law as is removing the copyright notice on the photo-I have the original EXIF data on this photo on file.

I request that it be removed from this site.

Jo Ann Poe-McGavin
    http://www.pawild.net

Dear Jo Ann,
      We are very sorry if what you say is true. This is the information that is included on our submission form: “By submitting an identification request and/or photo(s), you give WhatsThatBug.com permission to use your words and image(s) on their website and other WhatsThatBug.com publications. Also, you swear that you either took the photo(s) yourself or have explicit permission from the photographer or copyright holder to use the image.” We do not steal images from other websites. We have no way of verifying that images are taken by the person who submits them, but we trust that there will not be any copyright infringement. We checked the original file and there is no copyright information imbedded in it. The file info indicates that it was created on 1/27/2011 at 9:18 PM. Are you certain that the image is your image and not a similar image? Do you know how the person who submitted the image could have gotten your copyrighted image? Do you have the image posted to your website? We would gladly include an editor’s note and a link to your site indicating that you are the author of the image if you will allow the posting to remain, otherwise we will delete it. Please advise.

• Man, I recieved the same image!
      Fortunately, the guy said “I found this on the internet and want it to be identified”.

Very Interesting Cesar. With Facebook and so many other social networking sites, we imagine that people with too much time on their hands are scouring the internet for images with which to impress or freak out their “friends” and that is resulting in internet piracy or copyright infringement when folks who receive them send them to sites like ours.