Water bug ID
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
January 27, 2011 4:46 am
Hi there.
I got a link to this site, and hope that u could possibly help me identify a bug i found in my koi pond.
This guy was extremely small, less than a mm long, and thinner than a hair. Found a large amount of, what i thought was grey dust, in the pond, and on closer inspection, and my 5x magnification macro lens, i came up with a image.
It jumps when out of water, so maybe a water flea of some sort?
Thanks for your time.
Signature: Charissa de Lange

Springtail

Dear Charissa,
You have Springtails on the surface of your koi pond.  Springtails are thought to be the most numerous hexapods on the planet.  Originally classified in the same class as insects, they are now placed in a distinct class, Collembola.  According to BugGuide:  “Springtails are ‘decomposers’ that thrive mostly on decaying organic matter, especially vegetable matter. They may also graze on spores of molds and mildews, especially indoors where there is a lack of other food sources.
”  They are benign creatures that will not harm your fish, though they can become a nuisance if they get too plentiful.  We have gotten numerous reports of them covering the surface of swimming pools.

Location: Africa