Cool Moth
Location: Acworth, Ga
January 26, 2011 9:02 am
While I was working at a gas station one day in the hot Georgia sun, I found this GIANT moth. Well, I’m sure he’s not quite as big as some others out there, but it was the biggest one I have ever seen myself. Actually, we have an overabundancy of huge bugs at my work, every one of the largest bugs I have ever seen have all been seen there. I started posting them to my facebook photos and someone pointed me to here to have them identified. Is it possible that something in on or around the gas station creates super-bugs, or do huge bugs really just exist and we just typically don’t see them?
Signature: Amazed Giant-bug Enquirer

Rustic Sphinx

Dear Amazed Giant-bug Enquirer,
Your moth is a species of Hawkmoth, the Rustic Sphinx.  Your gas station if attracting insects because of the bright lights.  We don’t know what the surrounding property is like, but often gas stations are near wooded or swampy areas, and that may also explain your insects.  There are many large insects, but they go unnoticed unless they are isolated from their natural surroundings by landing on walls and windows.

Location: Georgia