I need my bug identified
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
January 21, 2011 11:39 am
Dear Bugman
I found this bug today, the 21st of January, in my garden. I would like to know what bug this is and what it eats, please.
We are experiencing summer here in South Africa and I live on the highveld in Johannesburg.
I have included three of my best photos of my bug.
Thanks very much
Signature: MAP

Prong Tailed Weevil

Dear MAP,
This is some species of Weevil, but we are uncertain of its exact identity.  Weevils belong to a large family of Beetles and many of them are characterized by a long snout which gives them a comical appearance.  Many Weevils are considered agricultural pests of various crops and other Weevils will infest stored foods.  We will continue to try to identify this species.

Update: December 15, 2016
Thanks to a comment from Ben23, we now know that this is most likely a Prong Tailed Weevil, Bronchus furvus, a species documented from South Africa on iSpot.

Location: Africa

2 Responses to Prong Tailed Weevil from South Africa

1. Ben23 says:

Good day!
    Isn’t it a Prong-tailed Weevil (Bronchus furvus)? Apparently it is widely distributed across South Africa. Source: Field Guide to Insects of South Africa.
    Greetings from Namibia