Can you identify this green bug?
Location: Palakkad, Kerala, India
January 16, 2011 11:38 am
I spotted this bug on an Otaheite gooseberry. Green, shiny, metallic. Didn’t see it flying.
Signature: Abhishek

Unknown Jewel Bug

Dear Abhishek,
Shieldback Bugs in the family Scutellaridae are often called Jewel Bugs when they are as brilliantly colored as your specimen.  Once, back in 2007, we posted a similarly colored, but morphologically different Jewel Bug from India that we never properly identified.  We also have a photo of a Lychee Shield Bug from India we posted last year that looks very similar.  PestNet has another similar looking Jewel Bug from Malaysia that is identified as
Calidea dregei.  We found a blog called Lifescapes Gallery that indicates that Jewel Bugs are known as “ponvandu” in India and states:  “these dazzlers were prized finds for entire generations of children whose stock rose or dipped with the extent of their bug collection, and thus were guarded zealously.”  The internet is full of similar looking Jewel Bugs, but we could not substantiate any exact species name.  Additionally, many are incorrectly identified as beetles.

Jewel Bug known as Ghanaky in Pakistan

Location: India

9 Responses to Unknown Green Metallic Jewel Bug from India

1. fragileprints says:

I saw the same bug..! This one did fly, I too thought it was a beetle. Thanks..!!

http://fragileprints.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/beetle-and-berry/

2. fragileprints says:

Oops. It did work..!!!!

3. farooq says:

this bugs is common in Pakistan specially in mountains we locally call it in our mother toung “Ghanaky” the kids use to keep it as pet and feeding them the leaves of berry,

4. rod says:

Hi, i live in South Australia and i have just found one that looks to be very much the same bug.
    it flew around fairly constantly for majority of the afternoon, i did catch it to show the wife as i had not seen one anything like that before. unfortunately at the time i let it go and then thought about taking photos of it, and then of course every time i got close enough to take photos the little fella would fly off.
    i am however interested in any additional information about it if you have any.
    thank you, Rod.

5. rod says:

thank you, Rod.