Mites in worm farm?
Location: Hawthorn, Melbourne, Australia
Dear Bugman
I’m wondering if you can help me identify these bugs which seem to be taking over my worm farm? The worms look a little distressed (crawling up to the very top and down to the very bottom of the farm) but not too worried (none have escaped yet.
Do these bugs feed on worms? Bite humans?
Thanks for your help!
Signature: Jess

Mite

Hi Jess,
Identifying Mites to the species level, or even family level is something well past our means and requires the expertise of an acarologist, however we will post your excellent photos in the hope that someone with more knowledge in the field than we possess might someday provide an answer to your questions.  It does appear that you might have two different Mites in your worm farm.

MIte

Location: Australia

2 Responses to Mites

1. bmoc says:

The first photo appears to be a mite in the family Parasitidae. These predatory mites are often found in compost such as worm beds. They’re probably feeding on nematodes or other mites, not on the worms themselves.

2. shasta3 says:

Jess, thank you so much for posting photos. I have been searching all day for a photo of the bug I am dealing with, and thank you bmoc for your comment. I was about to give up and believe that this was D. Gallinae. I have these mites living in the space between my patio and the house and they are becoming a nuisance, coming in and out of the back door and some coming into the house through the kitchen sink. They seemed to arrive at the same time as the springtails this year and do tend to follow them. I have had three of the second photo of the large red mite in my house and they also came in with the others. Most websites I have found name them as Phytoseiulus Persimilis, but I have also seen a few mentions of them as the common red spider mites. I am no expert, just trying to solve my own bugs problems, but thought I would share.