Curious find in my apartment
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
January 8, 2011 8:17 am
Last summer, I first found this strange insect crawling on my sink – I thought it a spider at first for its odd structure, but on closer inspection noticed it had only six legs.
Its hind legs were larger, and bent – its locomotion looks somewhat like if a human were on their back, pushing themselves by bending their knees up, planting their feet, and pushing.
This seems to be most of its movement, pushing with those big hind legs and then lesser movement with the front.
It almost looks dusty on its body, like its hairs trap debris or possibly is a natural camouflage of some sort. Has two long whisker-like antennae coming from its head.
Doesn’t seem to be a very powerful crawler against gravity; a tupperware container was suitable for trapping it, as it was unable to make its way up the sides.
That specimen last summer was only maybe 4 mm long, very small, very hard to see.
This morning, however, I discovered a much larger one, somewhere from 8 to 10 mm in size on my wall. I captured it as well, but haven’t had any photos of it yet – if perhaps something more is needed yet that the pictures I have of the first specimen are needed, I can attempt to send them in, as well.
Please note that while these admittedly lower-resolution than needed photos of this tiny bug [again, only about 4 mm in length] seem to appear as if it has two pincer-like legs raised and may appear like that of a pseudoscorpion, those are in fact its larger back legs, with the head opposite. They appear raised because it preferred the rounded edge of the tupperware container it was in.
Thanks, and I appreciate any help you may have on this enigmatic fellow.
Signature: Jude Reed

Masked Hunter

Hi Jude,
Despite the lack of clarity in your photo, the outline of this Masked Hunter, a species of Assassin Bug, is unmistakable.  The immature Masked Hunter has a sticky body surface that attracts dust and lint acting as a camouflage for the insect.  Masked Hunters are beneficial predators, but they should be handled with care as they might bite.  Bed Bug infestations seem to be ubiquitous in the news media of late, and the Masked Hunter is often called a Masked Bed Bug Hunter, indicating that they are natural predators of the nocturnal blood suckers.

Aha! I thank you many times over for the info. And it even answered as well my curiosity I’d had about the bugs that occasionally pop up in summers for me – the adult Masked Hunters seem to be the answer there, as well.
You’ve helped me twofold, and I appreciate it fourfold. Thank you.

Location: Michigan