Stick insect
Location: Patillas, Southern Puerto Rico
Thank you so much for this incredible resource. I live in the forest of Puerto Rico…Would love to know what this stick insect is called.
About 7inches long, incredible cartoony colors. What a character!
Signature: 3t

Walkingstick

Dear 3t,
For identification purposes, it is best to have a nice dorsal view of good resolution as well as some details.  Your composite image obstructs some potential identifying features and the image resolution is quite low.  Your letter indicates that the colors are “cartoony” but you don’t provide specifics, and the lighting conditions under which the photos were taken appear to be incandescent which distorts natural colors.  With that said, we have attempted to identify this species, and we were quite hopeful when we stumbled upon 9 pages of Walkingstick photos on the Puerto Rico Wildlife website of Alfredo Colón, but alas, not of the images seems to exactly match your specimen.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to assist in this identification.

Update: March 20, 2011
Hello Daniel…FYI on that incredible walking stick,
“A rare endemic Puerto Rican female Phasmid called Diapherodes acalus.”  From: Lic. Alfredo D. Colón Archilla. San Juan, Puerto Rico
I found a great site www.phasmatodea.org/species/achalus_diapherodes_72.html that confirmed it.
Many thanks to both of you.
High Regards, 3t

We love that the common name is Caballo de San Pedro.

Location: Puerto Rico