Spider
Location: Austin, TX
January 5, 2011 10:54 am
Hello Bugman,
This spider was waiting for me at my front door when I got home from work last night. With legs spread, it’s probably 3 to 4 inches across. It moved rather slowly. I tried to search the web for identification, but every species I found that looked similar was not native to this area. Thanks for any information you can provide.
Signature: Jeff

Tarantula

Hi Jeff,
That is a very black Tarantula.  We imagine it is in the genus
Aphonopelma.  According to the AgriLife Website:  “There are 14 species of tarantulas in the genus, Aphonopelma, listed from Texas in a recent work. Identification of species is difficult and requires mature males, a microscope, proper literature and experience.

Update:  March 27, 2017
We will look into the possibility of this being a Trapdoor Spider.

Location: Texas

6 Responses to Trapdoor Spider

1. Glen Cardenas says:

Several of us noticed one of these guys on the side of the Alamo Iron Works building in San Antonio for several days. Over the weekend, it must have moved on because we haven’t seen it lately.

2. Becky Sutton says:

I found a similar looking one this am in a laundry basket. Looks like a tarantula but hairless. I am keeping him in a pet box for crickets. Anyone know what it is or want him?

3. Barbara Garcia says:

Just had one come out of the grass after a storm. In south Bexar county.

4. Kelly says:

My mom’s cat brought in a dead one. Until this website, we couldn’t find a picture or description that matched. We are in The Woodlands, TX

5. Jessi says:

This is not a tarantula. This is a trap door species, I had the species named at one time when I also found one in front of my house. The shiny legs and hairless-ness is a sure sign of not being a tarantula.