Our office is flooded with the following bug
Location: Penrith, Australia
January 4, 2011 2:02 am
Could you please tell me what kind of bug is this and is it dangerous? We got to our office after Christmas and this is what we found.
Signature: Thank you very much! Regards, Jake

Unknown Bug Infestation

Dear Jake,
Thanks for sending us a closeup as well as the overall shot of your infestation, but even in the closeup, it is difficult to make out the kind of details that would aid in a proper identification.  It appears in the closeup that there are different sizes or instars of this mystery insect, which leads us to believe they are probably True Bugs in the suborder Heteroptera.  Might they have been transported to your office on a live Christmas tree?  If that is the case, they probably left the tree as it began to dry out and they will not be able to survive or reproduce.  We will try to do some additional research in an effort to provide a more conclusive identification.

Location: Australia

7 Responses to Unknown Bug Infestation from Australia: Might it be related to a Christmas Tree???

1. Arianna says:

These are most definitely Globular Springtails!

2. mickey says:

so what is this bug exactly?

3. mickey says:

you’re saying we have come across a new species and should be credited for it?

We repeat: “We were never able to make a conclusive identification.” We said nothing about a new species and we have no jurisdiction regarding credits for new discoveries.

4. They look like tick to me.

5. Jo-Anna says:

What you could of done is taken a few of them and sent them to a place to be identified.