Kekoa the Katydid – RIP
Location: Vancouver, Washington
January 2, 2011 4:41 am
Well, she lived much longer than I had originally thought she would after laying her eggs, and I’m not happy to see her go, but I’ve got her babies to watch for in the spring and maybe raise one of them in her stead. Left four days ago for a new years trip, came back early rather than on Monday because of family issues, to discover my brother telling me he’d seen her face down in the bottom of her cage for a while, and she hadn’t been moving. I checked on her, and sure enough she was dead, and her body starting to brown. Even in death I think she is beautiful. Sad to see her go, but her role in life was done, and I’m proud to have helped her live it through 🙂
Found her on Veteran’s Day, Nov. 11th
She laid eggs on Nov. 23rd through 27th (more here:  She laid eggs on Nov. 23rd through 27th)
Passed away either Dec. 30 / 31st
When her babies start to emerge, I’ll take pictures and help increase the Katydid picture resources! 🙂
Signature: Sincerely, Kaetlin the bug fanatic

Kekoa the Katydid has died

Dear Kaitlin,
Thanks for keeping us informed of the death of your pet Katydid.  As you indicated, her life in captivity probably increased her longevity.  We hope she has produced viable eggs for you and we look forward to additional updates when the eggs hatch.

Location: Washington