Bug/Insect Type
Location: Currently in Indiana…but may have been brought from Hawaii
December 3, 2010 11:32 am
Do you know what type of bug/insect this is? I brought a doll (made in Hawaii) to Indiana from Hawaii in August 2010, upacked it from the box it came in and placed it in my curio cabinet. I recently found this bug/insect in my curio cabinet. I saw it one day and when I went back to get it I couldn’t find it…then a couple days later, I saw it again on a higher shelf….This time I captured it. Sorry for the dust :). Can you tell me what kind of bug/insect it is? Is it Hawaiian? Please help!!
Signature: Curious Sue

Assassin Bug Nymph

Dear Curious Sue,
We decided to go back through our unanswered mail to try to post a few additional letters and photos, which is why we are so late in responding to your query.  This is an immature Assassin Bug, and based on a photo we found on BugGuide, we believe it may be in the genus
Zelus.  This comment from Eric Eaton can be found on BugGuide:  “Zelus is a genus in utter confusion right now, so even adults are getting harder to put to species.”  Since members of the genus may be found in Indiana as well as Hawaii, we are uncertain where this individual may have originated.

Location: Indiana

4 Responses to Assassin Bug

1. drswanny says:

Does look like a Zelus nymph. One species, Z. renardii, is established in Hawaii, but this doesn’t look quite right. Species in Indiana are Z. luridus and Z. tetracanthus, and I’d guess your nymph is probably the latter species.

2. Tiffany says:

Ok. I just came across a BLACK one that’s currently in my vacuum. My daughter was on her top bunk & came & got me. I’m glad she saw it, even in the dark!!!
    I’ve lived in Oahu, Hawaii going on 5 yrs now & I’ve NEVER seen this!!! Don’t think I ever want to again!!! Gross. But thanks for the post & identifying.

Your black Assassin Bug might have been an adult Masked Hunter, a species that is often found in homes. It is sometimes called a Masked Bed Bug Hunter, and since it can prey on the noxious Bed Bugs, it should be considered a beneficial species that might bite a human if it is carelessly handled or accidentally encountered.

3. John mckinnes says:

I got the green ones in arkansas too