This is a bit gross
Location: Malapascua, Visayas, Philippines
So, I admit this is a gross way to discover a new bug, but here goes.
So I’m currently vacationing on Malapascua, a small island in the Philippines.
I was in the toilet, doing my thing, and when I finished I stood up to flush and this thing was in there wriggling around.
At first I was terrified that it was some parasite or something that had come out, as it were. But now I’m thinking that’s impossible, it’s just too big. Still, I was completely freaking out, hence the fishing and photographing.
What is this thing? The white debris on it is…err… toilet paper.
Signature: Sorry…

Fly Maggot

Dear Sorry,
This appears to be a Fly Maggot, but we have no theories as to why it was found in the toilet.  Though certain flies are parasites, Maggots are not known to be internal parasites within the human gastrointestinal tract.

Karl believes this is a Soldier Fly Larva
Hi Daniel and Sorry…
This is just a thought, but it looks a lot like a Soldier Fly (Stratiomyidae) larva, perhaps even a Black Soldier Fly (Hermetia illucens), also known as the Window Fly. The species is native to southeastern USA but it is also widespread in the tropics, including the Philippines. There are quite a few pictures of larvae, pupae and adults on the WTB? site if you do a search. Black Soldier Fly maggots have become quite popular with people interested in composting and manure management (with some interest developing in the Philippines), and in parts of the world they are also raised as feed for fish or domestic fowl. I found this site that promotes the culture of the maggots for Swiftlet farming in Malaysia (as in harvesting bird nests for soup). It could be some other species but I think this is getting close. They apparently crawl around quite a bit when they are looking for a place to pupate so perhaps that is how this one blundered into the toilet. By the way, I believe this individual has its rear end facing the camera so the toilet paper would be appropriate. Regards. Karl

Location: Philippines

One Response to Fly Maggot from the Philippines

1. Dennis Batchelor says:

I had a series of eggs planted on a black shirt, approx. 8-10. They were very small, tightly clustered and the same shade as a red ant. It looked like a bot egg. I crushed them and there was a reddish liquid inside.