Worm or larve?
Subject: Worm or larve?
Location: Santa Fe, NM USA
I found this near a stack of wood on our porch in Santa Fe, NM and do not know what it is. It is about 1” long and milky white color. Help
Signature: Thanks, Jonathan

Flathead Borer

Hi Jonathan,
This is a Flathead Borer, the larva of a Beetle in the family Buprestidae, commonly called the Metallic Wood Borers or Jewel Beetles.  We are unable to identify the exact species, and it appears as though this individual has been squashed.  Beetles in the family Buprestidae are often beautifully colored and patterned, and they are highly revered among collectors.  You can see some examples of Jewel Beetles in our archives.

Cool.
Should I worry about my house with these or are they mostly tree/wood pile guys?
JJ

Hi JJ,
You do not need to worry about Flathead Borers infesting your home.  They are found in living and recently dead wood, however, there have been reports of them emerging many years later from milled lumber.  The record, to the best of our knowledge, is of an adult Golden Buprestid emerging from wood that had been milled fifty years earlier, and we ourselves have receive a report of an adult Golden Buprestid emerging from a wooden cutting board that was eight years old.

you are great.  Gonna throw you a donation.
Thanks for your help.
Jonathan

2 Responses to Flathead Borer

1. Expertech Tree surgery Services says:

With flatheads only the living phloem, cambium and last ring of sapwood are consumed. In my business as a tree surgeon I have never found these “bugs” deep in the wood like a Locust borer for example. This pest is very common here in New Mexico.