Help identifying a bug please
Location: Seattle WA
Hi bugman,
I found these bugs underneath our bed while we were cleaning the house. They look like worms and they move by extending something from one end of their body and pulling themselves forward. Do you know what they are? My wife is freaking about this discovery.
Signature: Aaron

Case Bearing Moth Larva

Dear Aaron,
This is a Case Bearing Moth Larva in the subfamily Tineinae, and we believe it is a Casemaking Clothes Moth,
Tinea pellionella.  According to BugGuide, they:  “Feed on wool, feathers, fur, hair, upholstered furniture, leather, fish meals, milk powders, lint, dust or paper. Judging by the quantity of pet hair in your photo, they have an ample food supply.  Vacuuming under the bed more regularly to control pet hair should reduce the number of Case Bearing Moth Larvae you find in your home.

Thank you for the quick response Daniel, you’re awesome! 🙂 I’ll be making a donation to your website!
-Aaron K.

Location: Washington

2 Responses to Case Bearing Moth Larva

1. Margie says:

Just for the record, I thought I’d contribute. I live in Southern California (Torrance) and have lived in the same house for 33 years and only just started seeing Case-Bearing Moth Larvae the last couple of years in my home (only one random one at a time climbing up a wall). I also saw a random one outside my mother’s home (3 miles) away awhile back, but never saw any prior to that time. They truly are a wonder. When do they become moths?