North eastern PA
Location: north eastern pennsylvania
December 27, 2010 10:03 am
i have repeatidly found this bug in the curtins over my windows. that seems to be the only place i ever find them. i have found over 10 of them this fall season. all in the curtins over the windows.
Signature: any way

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Dear any way,
This is a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug,
Halyomorpha halys, an agricultural pest from Asia that was accidentally introduced to North America in Allentown, PA, according to BugGuide.  The species has spread to many surrounding states as well as the West Coast.  According to BugGuide, it feeds upon “Mostly fruits and other crops. Considered a major agricultural pest in Asia, with potential for causing significant damage to crops in the United States. BugGuide also indicates:  “may invade homes in the winter by the hundreds” where they become a nuisance, though they will not actually damage the home or its contents and they are not dangerous to humans or pets.

Location: Pennsylvania

4 Responses to Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

1. Megan says:

I just want to say thank you for identifying this bug! I found one in my home after rearranging my furniture. I now can sleep better knowing this pest is harmless.

Thank you!

2. Nancy Hall says:

Actually, I have a friend (N) with an allergy to this Brown Marmorated Stink Bug. If they land on her she gets a welt and if they actually spray their stink on her she gets blistered.
    Another friend (A) first pointed them out because their stink spray bothered her cat and now the cat won’t go near them if she can avoid it. This cat is a bug catcher of all sorts of bugs but once sprayed she left them alone.
    I was inundated while camping in my pop-up camper at a campground beside some farm fields, there were literally dozens that got inside when I opened the door on the sunny side of the camper. I later learned that they are clumsy fliers and usually crawl upwards after landing looking for crevices. They also hide in anything. I was finding them in boxes, clothing drawers, and all the cubby holes in the camper. Their thin shape makes it easy to slide into a thin slit and hunker down to hide,
    I asked a fellow camper how to get rid of them and learned that if you step on or otherwise squash them it attracts more to their pheromones. There is a solution to the “But if I open the door, more will come in.” They are easy to trap in a sandwich baggie which is about 1/4 full of water with a squirt of dish soap. open the baggie, use the edge to knock them off of their perch and into the soapy solution, They drown.
    I experimented with a spray of peppermint extract and water and was able to use it to drive the ones that got between the screen and the window out without squashing them. I use this to discourage spiders also. I do not feel bad about exterminating the bugs as they are an agricultural pest not native to our continent.
    I hope this can be of some use especially since they have migrated down the eastern seaboard to NC at least.

Thanks so much for providing such interesting information about Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs, and invasive, exotic species that has quickly spread across North America, doubtless because they stow away in all manor of places provided by humans as they travel across the country.

3. jack says:

Are you killing my friends and entertainment?
    I have several in my house and smell if you squish them. my cat just paws them a couple of times and gets bored.
    They seem harmless unless my cat knocks over a lamp chasing one, lol.