Here is a picture of a huge bug in Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica
December 25, 2010 11:45 am
Any idea what it is?
Signature: BUG MAN

Giant Grasshopper

In its native habitat of Central and South America, this Giant Grasshopper, Tropidacris dux, is commonly called a Giant Brown Cricket though it is really a Grasshopper.  It is frequently mistaken for a bird in flight.  We can’t help but wonder how old this image is since it is a scanned medium format photographic image as opposed to a digitally captured original.

Thank you. This was actually taken very recently. I believe with an iPhone. A filter or digital treatment may have been applied. Thank you for your help!

Thanks for the clarification on the original photographic file.  We are intrigued with the way that traditional photography is mimicked, or better, counterfeited, through the use of special post production applications.  We first became aware of this fetishization of the image with post production in videos that allow for adding dust and scratches to capture the feel of nostalgic film since video does not scratch or contain dust.

Location: Costa Rica

One Response to Giant Grasshopper from Costa Rica

1. Mike Hughes says:

I just accidentally killed a 5 in grasshopper while burning debris in my yard. I speared it with a metal rake. I’m in Esterrios Oeste. I have pictures.