Strange Bug
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
December 24, 2010 5:59 am
We find a lot of these dead bugs in my entrance hall every morning. The only one that was still alive was battling to walk, flopping over, before it died. They look like an overgrown flee or a type of prawn. We live on the side of a high hill.
Signature: Maurae Wooding

Lawn Shrimp

Hi Maurae,
This is a Lawn Shrimp or House Hopper, a terrestrial Amphipod that is native to Australia, but which has been introduced to other regions including South Africa, New Zealand, Florida and California.  They can become quite plentiful in cultivated gardens where they go unnoticed, but after a heavy rain, they seek dry shelter, often indoors, where they promptly die and come to the attention of the human residents.  Though they are a nuisance when they enter the home, they are basically a benign species.

Hi Daniel
Thank you so much, that really explains exactly what we are seeing.
We have been having a lot of rain lately especially at night and have had a lot of millipedes, centipedes and earth worms coming in due to the wet but those are all still alive so we can rescue them and return them to a drier spot in the garden, I could not understand why the Lawn scrimps were all dead or dying.
Thank you for a wonderful website and your quick and helpful response.
kind regards
Maurae Wooding

Location: Africa

One Response to Lawn Shrimp from South Africa

1. Scott Cornell says:

Found lawn shrimp here in Gulfport Mississippi.