Spiders
Location: Masai Mara, Kenya
December 22, 2010 5:01 am
Hi Bugman,
As you mentioned you don’t get many entries from East Africa, here are a few close-ups of the spiders I live with.

Picture 3: one of my favourites – A Wolf Spider from the family Lycosidae. Geolycosa spp.
Keep an eye out for more. I’ve got tonnes!
Signature: Zarek

Wolf Spider

Hi again Zarek,
Thanks so much for sending us this fine close-up photograph of a Wolf Spider, but we wish you had also included a shot of the entire spider as well as additional information on the circumstances surrounding the sighting.

Wolf Spider.  Again, my apologies for only including the close ups of the spiders’ faces.  I do have pictures for each of these that includes the whole body.
These Geolycosa Wolf Spiders are very common in Masai Mara, Kenya.   They’re often confused for baboon spiders, but are, in fact Araneomorphs, while Baboon Spiders are Mygalomorphs.
These Wolf Spiders live in circular burrows in the ground and come out, mostly at night, to hunt actively.  However, I found this particular one mid-morning wandering around in the grass.  He was very obliging at first for his photoshoot, but eventually got tired of it and wandered off.

Update from Zarek
same wolf spider
Location: Masai Mara, Kenya
December 23, 2010 4:33 am
Here’s a full body shot of the Geolycosa spp Wolf Spider in the previous picture I sent. With legs and all, he’s probably about 7-8cm long and about 5cm wide.
Signature: Zarek

Wolf Spider from Kenya

Location: Africa

2 Responses to Wolf Spider from Kenya

1. Remirez says:

Whats the best way for me to go about adding another picture with the full body shown?

Do I submit it as a new entry?

The best way is to use the typical submission form and attach new photos. Please use the subject line: “Wolf Spider from Kenya.”