Giant Caterpillar

Unidentified Caterpillar

Giant Caterpillar
Location: Rainforest Discovery Centre, Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia.
December 17, 2010 4:02 am
My sister found this giant caterpillar in RDC – Rainforest Discovery Centre.
I had measured it with my ruler, it is 11cm long.
It is quiet, doesn’t move much.
This is the largest caterpillar I had ever seen, is this a world record ?
Signature: C.X. Wong

Unidentified Caterpillar

Dear C.X. Wong,
While we do not recognize your Caterpillar, we will post the images and hopefully one of our readers will be able to provide some input.  We are uncertain what the largest caterpillar in the world might be, but the Hickory Horned Devil is the largest North American Caterpillar according to BugGuide.  According to Green Answers, it can grow to 14 centimeters, which is larger than the specimen in Malaysia.

might be Tea Oil Caterpillar

Ed. Note: December 18, 2010
We received a comment yesterday that this is the caterpillar of
Lebeda nobilis Walker,1855.  We did a web search of that name and found an Asian website with images of the life cycle and the caterpillar matches somewhat. Another Asian website has images that seem to be a closer match.  The caterpillar is also pictured on Bettaman’s Photostream on Flickr. We found a journal posted online with no images that associates the common name Tea Oil Caterpillar with this species.  Even if this is not the correct species, the resemblance is quite close and probably indicates that the family Lasiocampidae, the Tent Caterpillars and Lappet Moths, is correct.

Location: Malaysia

3 Responses to Possibly Tea Oil Caterpillar from Malaysia

1. marioho says:

It is this ” Lebeda nobilis Walker,1855 “,one kind of middle-large moth’s child!

You can search this key word on Google.

Mario ho

2. C. X. Wong says:

I believe this is a Lebeda cognata.
    The caterpillar description is recorded in mothsofborneo.com